I’m a picky person when it comes to paying to see a movie on the big screen. Generally it has to be something that will be significantly improved by seeing it on a huge screen for me to spend the money. There are three movies coming out soon (two tomorrow!) that I am really looking forward to watching on the big screen. Here’s why.
Reasons for wanting to watch A-Team:
- It has Liam Neeson in it and he gets to whoop up on people.
- It doesn’t look like it takes itself seriously. I can appreciate that; it shouldn’t! It’s the A-Team!
- It will probably make me laugh.
- The number one reason? It has a guy, in a tank, falling from the sky while shooting at planes. I mean, come on!! How awesome is that?!
Reasons for wanting to watch the new Karate Kid:
- It has Will Smith’s son in it, and I have not-so-secretly loved Will Smith’s work since Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I can’t WAIT to see some good stuff with his son.
- I love the kid-out-of-his-element scenario.
- Jackie Chan makes me smile.
- Everything is kung-fu.
Reasons for wanting to watch The Last Airbender:
- Appa and Momo!!!
- I’m desperately hoping that M. Night will rebound his career.
- If the fight scenes are half as cool as they look in the previews and somewhere close to as cool as they were in cartoon, this movie is going to freaking rock.
- Shaun Toub as Uncle Iroh. He played Yinsen in Iron Man (the guy in the cave with Tony) and was great and I think he is PERFECT for the part of Uncle Iroh.
- I have seriously been looking forward to this movie since I watched the series back when it was still new on Nickelodeon. I remember reading the interview back in 2007 or 2008 when M. Night was talking about how much his daughters loved the show and how he was talking to the original writers about doing a live action movie. I remember being skeptical and hesitantly excited back then, and now? Now I’m really trying hard not to get my hopes up, but that’s failing miserably. I can’t wait to see it on the big screen.
It’s going to be tough to see Airbender as soon as I want to since it comes out July 2 and I’ll have a newborn. But I will make it happen, even if I have to bring the baby with me to the first showing on a Tuesday morning at the Drafthouse. But A-Team and Karate Kid both come out tomorrow; perhaps I’ll be able to see one before Benjamin gets here!